Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Lift-up Shelf

 I couldn't in good conscience not attempt to design a way to give unobstructed access to my cubicle. I decided to make the part of the layout that crosses over the entrance swing up and over on itself.  This is no ordinary lift up bridge. It is a complete part of the layout that lifts up, including two levels of track and scenery. To give enough clearance for the track and scenery, I offset the hinges with blocks of wood.


When up, the layout is supported by 1x2s hidden under the scenery.




Sections of track and scenery are removable to prevent binding and damage. The highlighted scenery and track can be easily removed for folding.


This type of lift up is probably more trouble than it is worth for normal room layouts. However, for portable or small layouts, it could provide space savings or easy storage solutions.



This was a good learning project for me.  Suffice it to say, I don't use the lift up section much.

Thanks for reading, Peter Lieber

3 comments:

  1. Nice 3D work...what are you using? Sketch up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am using sketch up. I have really enjoyed using it. My next step is to use it for CNC/3d printing, but have no experience with those yet (except the unopened CNC mill kit I have yet to assemble...)

      Delete
  2. Similar to this web page your site is individual of my new faves.I like this website shown in addition to it has given me several sort of inspiration to have success for certain reason, so thanks.
    Router Mill

    ReplyDelete